The Legal Aspects of Traffic Stops
Wednesday, June 30, 2021 0800-1700
Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Training and Education Center
4715 Capper Road
Jacksonville, FL 32218
Conducting a traffic stop is a legally technical event. A single misstep can lead to the loss of the evidence and a lawsuit. KNOW THE LAW!
This challenging 8-hour course is designed for patrol officers who already possess background knowledge and functional experience in search and seizure law. This live course is highly engaging and utilizes polling devices for learner interaction.
- A refresher and update in search and seizure law relating directly to traffic stops.
- Establishing a legal basis for making the stop initially.
- The implications of conducting the traffic stop after Rodriguez v. United States.
- The legal basis for controlling the driver and passengers during the traffic stop.
- Legally permissible inquiries during the traffic stop.
- Extending a traffic stop to conduct a criminal investigation.
- The use of K9s to conduct “sniffs” on a vehicle.
- Getting to probable cause.
- Determining the point at which Miranda warnings are required.
- How implicit bias can impact routine traffic stop decisions.