Master Search and Seizure Law
Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 8:00 PM –
Wed, Jan 22, 2020, 5:00 PM EST
This two-day course provides 16 hours of interactive instruction for law enforcement officers who already possess a background knowledge and functional experience in search and seizure law. The instruction is advanced and fast-paced and uses case studies to explain the development and the current status of the legal aspects of searches and seizures.
Outline of Instruction – Day 1
- A Fourth Amendment Refresher – Framing the fundamental concepts of search and seizure law.
- Government Action – Determining the applicability of the Fourth Amendment.
- Searches – The development and current law governing the two types of Fourth Amendment searches.
- Seizures – The law governing the seizure of persons, places, things, and digital data.
- Warrant Execution – Reasonableness in executing search warrants and arrest warrants.
Outline of Instruction – Day 2
- The Concept of Judicially Recognized Exceptions to Warrant Requirement
- Warrantless Searches and Seizures – Applying the judicially recognized exceptions.
- Traffic Stops – The complex legal aspects of making traffic stops to conduct drug distribution investigations.
- Living in a Digital World – Conducting searches and seizures of digital storage devices.
- Applying the concept of the “Fourth Amendment Dominoes”
- Emerging trends in Search and Seizure Law
Organizer/Presenter: Retired FLETC Senior Legal Instructor Bruce-Alan Barnard is a nationally-renown law enforcement legal educator and former federal prosecutor. Over the last 25 years, he has provided training on the legal aspects of law enforcement to over 30,000 federal, tribal, state, and local law enforcement officers as well as thousands of prosecutors. Bruce is a Subject Matter Expert for Search and Seizure Law as well as Electronic Surveillance Law and the related legal aspects of law enforcement. He recently retired from his position as a Senior Legal Instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) and is the Director of LEA ONE. Bruce conducts training in classrooms and online and hosts the podcast Broadcast Blue for LEOs.
Email inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org