The Legal Aspects of Traffic Stops – HYBRID ONLINE
Conducting a traffic stop is a legally technical event. A single misstep can lead to the loss of the evidence and a lawsuit. KNOW THE LAW!
This challenging 8-hour course is designed for patrol officers who already possess a background knowledge and functional experience in search and seizure law. This HYBRID ONLINE course combines highly-interactive eLearning instruction followed by a live 2-hour online session that uses case studies to explain the development and the current status of the legal aspects of traffic stops.
- A refresher and update in search and seizure law relating directly to traffic stops.
- Establishing the legal basis for making the stop initially.
- The implications of conducting the traffic stop after Rodriguez v. United States.
- The legal basis for controlling the driver and passengers during the traffic stop.
- Legally permissible inquiries during the traffic stop.
- Extending a traffic stop to conduct a criminal investigation.
- The use of K9s to conduct “sniffs” on a vehicle.
- Getting to probable cause.
- Determining the point at which Miranda warnings are required.
- How implicit bias can impact routine traffic stop decisions.
- The Legal Aspects of Traffic Stops (Special Florida Edition)
- Jul 14 2020
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm